Wednesday, November 9, 2016

11/9/16... Elder Morgan's grandpa, Don Van Slooten, passed away on Wednesday, November 9, 2106

Grandpa Don Van Slooten December 22, 1927 - November 9, 2016
Letter to Brad's Mission President regarding Grandpa Don's passing and President Alexander's response...


Hello.  I am Elder Morgan's mom, Chrissy Morgan.  I am saddened to write to you to let you know that my father, Elder Morgan's grandpa, Don Van Slooten, passed away on Wednesday, November 9.  I have been getting things situated for the funeral and am finally writing this to you...  I wasn't sure if I should wait to tell him in his letter, but I think it is good that you are also aware.  

My dad suffered for the last 10 years from Parkinson's and it gradually took his ability to walk and lately his mental acuity.  We moved him to a care facility at the end of September.  I wrote to Elder Morgan last week informing him that he wasn't doing well, but we did not expect him to go downhill so fast.  I flew down to Salt Lake on Sunday and was lucky enough to be by his side for the last 4 days of his life.  It was very sad, but so wonderful that he is now with our Heavenly Father and freed from his frustrating limiting mind and body.  

Elder Morgan's grandpa was an amazing man.  He loved Brad and enjoyed watching him play baseball and sports, but he was especially proud of him as a missionary.  He was a mission president himself when he was first married in the Netherlands Mission in the early 60s.  He loved reading and then hearing Elder Morgan's letters.  It gave him so much joy that his grandchildren chose to serve the Lord.  Elder Morgan was built just like his grandpa--tall and lean.  He was athletic just like Brad and they shared the same peaceful demeanor--both gentle giants.  Thankfully Brad got to go to lunch with him on the day he entered the MTC. 

My emotions are close to the surface these days, and I am reflecting so much on the love I have for my family which makes me miss Elder Morgan more than ever.  I am so proud of him, his service and his ever positive attitude.  When you tell him about his grandpa, will you please give him our love? 

Thank you for all that you do for our son, the other missionaries and the people of North Carolina.  He only has positive things to say about you and Sister Alexander and his testimony of the gospel has grown immensely from what he has learned from you.  

Please let us know what we can do for you or if there are any missionaries in need of any clothes, bikes, supplies or anything.  You, Elder Morgan and all of the NC Charlotte Mission are constantly in our prayers.  

Thanks again.

Sincerely,
Chrissy Morgan 
509-947-4233


Dear Sister Morgan,

Sister Alexander and I are so sorry to hear of your Father’s passing.  Please accept our love and condolence.  We can feel that your father lived the life of a true disciple of Jesus Christ and how  his example of has influenced many people for good, especially his children and grandchildren.

Upon receiving your note yesterday morning, I called Elder Morgan.  He was already aware that his Grandpa had passed away.   He told me what a great influence his grandfather has had on his life and how grateful he was to spend time with him before leaving on his mission.  I feel that his faith in the Savior and the promise of eternal life is giving him great comfort.  And I do know that the Lord gives his missionaries special attention during times like this.  I shared with him that I believe that during his mission, there will be times will he will be able to feel his Grandpa’s presence to assist him in this great work.

I also spoke with your son again yesterday afternoon and called him to be a Trainer.  Even though he has only been out for a few months, I trust him to train and mentor a new missionary.  This will be a great opportunity for him to continue growing in his faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and also his skills and capabilities as a missionary.   I am sure Elder Morgan will tell you more on his weekly letter tomorrow.

Again, may God bless and comfort you during this time of loss.  We are so grateful to serve with your son here in the North Carolina Mission.  We love your son and he is growing to be a true disciple and powerful missionary.

With our love and prayers,
President and Sister Alexander


No comments:

Post a Comment